Italiano English
   

Churches & Religion

 

Churches

Annunziata

The Church of the Annunciation was built in the 12th century. It was originally dedicated to St. Peter the Apostle but was misinterpreted as "Episcopo" (Bishop) and the church was known until the seventeenth century as the church "Bishop St. Peter”. Due to it’s gradual abandonment it was reduced to ruins and was deconsecrated, stripped of it’s furniture and closed in 1651. In 1667, thanks to the arrival to Corneto(name of Tarquinia at the time) of a soldier, Ruberes Assisio, a highly educated and religious man, who began attending to the ruins and painted in the apse a fresco of the “Annunciation”. The building began to be frequently visited and the ecclesiastical authorities provided the necessary means to restore the building and it was consecrated as “Our Lady of the Soldier” or “the Annunciation’”. The exterior is composed of a gabled facade divided horizontally in two by a border. The upper section displays a ornately decorated church rosette standing above a portal consisting of concentric ringed arcs. Each alternating arch is constructed with two types of stone typical of the zone , macco( an organic sedimentary marine stone, ochre in color),  and nenfro ( volcanic stone, grey in color). The garden walls of the Church are shared by a retirement home (on the left) and a Language school for Tourism (on the right) and degree courses in Language and Literature of the University of Tuscia in Viterbo, formerly an elementary school called, “Sergio Cardinal Guerri”.The posterior face of the church has three projecting apses. On the inside of the apses there is a single nave divided in two spans with crossing arches.  You can visit the church during religious ceremonies.

Chiesa del Salvatore (XII secolo)

Chiesa del Suffraggio

Chiesa di S. Maria in Castello (XII secolo)

Chiesa di S. Martino (XI secolo)

Probably the oldest church in the city: some documents testify to its existence since 1051. However, little is known about its history and the information we have is based on legends than on actual facts. Records from the archives show that since the sixteenth century the parish was in decline and was consequently  merged in 1612 with St. Mary and Margaret.Although the church has undergone several restorations over the centuries, the churches original Romanesque architecture can be observed by careful examination of the structures noticeable seams showing different constructions. On the buildings facade are the visible divisions of the three inside aisles . In the center a distinguishably higher section is surmounted by a belfry.  At each side, covering the aisles, is a Pisan moulded cornice in nenfro and macco stone of contrasting colours supported by a series of small Lombard arcades resting on nenfro corbels interrupted just above the portal. On the lower section of the facade there are four slender pillars at each side of the portal formed by two concentric arches of different levels made of alternating nenfro and macco stone. Other architectural structures were added to both sides of the church, which conceal the walls of the original building, while the rear face, two of the three apses are still visible: the third was demolished to allow construction of another building. The many interventions are noticeable by the presence of various stylistic influences; from Pisa (the bicolor front frame, the oculus of the tympanum), the Arabian or Southern architecture (lancet arches), the Northern architecture (series of small arches in main the apse and arches on the facade).The interior is divided into three naves with three pairs of Lombard pillars. In the left nave, there are still the remains of a fifteenth-century fresco depicting St. Anna and the Virgin Mary with baby Jesus. The church's interior is not currently accessible due to restoration  and will not be open until the work is completed.

Chiesa di S. Pancrazio (XII-XIII secolo)

Chiesa di SS. Maria e Margherita (Duomo)

Monastero Benedettine Santa Lucia

San Francesco

The church was built between the late 13th and early 14th century apparently on a site following a miracle of St. Francis. On the site was erected an oratory dedicated to the Trinity where it has been a place of worship for the Franciscan Friars Minor ever since.The tower was built in 1612, it had replaced a previous bell tower with most likely three bells. The coexistence of the Gothic and the Romanesque elements are evident in the Christian Church. The facade is divided into three sections which correspond to the three interior aisles. In the middle, much higher than the others, is the main portal consisting of an array of four concentric reentering ogival pointed arches, clearly Gothic. The decorated rosette window above the portal is obviously Romanesque. The sides are surmounted by six acute Lombard arches particularly noticeable on the right sector.The interior is divided into three aisles of five bays each, the central nave twice the width of the side aisles, with a slightly raised transept with three apses at the end. On the right side are five chapels, added between the 15th and 16th century, the Chapel of Blessed John Triora, the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, the Chapel of St. Anthony of Padua and the most recent, the Memorial Chapel of the Nativity scene. The Convent, until the end of the seventies was the location of the Scientific High School of Galileo Galilei, today hosts the Friars of the Immaculate Order and can not be visited. Worthy of note, are the Renaissance cloister and the well in the garden.

San Giacomo Church 11th-12th century

San Giovanni

Santo Spirito

Santuario di Santa Maria di Valverde

The thirteenth century building is named after the mendicant order of of the ‘Servants of the Holy Mary Mother of Christ’ who had been living there since 1350, after various vicissitudes, the former convent church with three naves is municipally owned. A large portion of the original complex has been converted into apartments. A Byzantine painting of the Modonna, ‘Our Lady patroness of the City’ is housed there.

 

Customs

No data

 

Diocese

No data

 

Masses

No data

 

Patron Saints

No data

 

Prayers in English

No data

 

Processions

Santuario di Santa Maria di Valverde